Friday, February 4, 2011

3 Parts of Me

Being in college is a little weird. For four years (well for most people, it’s 4) you’re living this life that’s divided into different parts. Think about it, for 4 months, you live at home, and for the other 8 months you’re at school.

So one part of me still lives at home with my mom. I go to work a few days out of the week, and the only other person I hang out with besides coworkers is my best friend Haley. I didn’t really stay in touch with people from high school, so all the people that I used to see on a daily basis, I only see their Facebook status updates. Going home is a little weird. Don’t get me wrong, I love seeing my parents and being in my own room in my own house. But it’s not where I am anymore. I spend more time at college than there, and with each year I feel like I’m getting farther and farther away from that life.

But then at college, there are still different parts of me. I have my own room as a Resident Assistant and a hall of great girls. This year I’ve met some of the most amazing people and I know that this is where I’m meant to be. I have a lot of responsibilities here, whether it has to do with schoolwork, helping a resident, or programming with my staff. There’s always something for me to do. But I love to be busy—so it’s great for me.

The other part of me is when I visit my boyfriend Jeff. He’s only a two hour car ride, so it’s easy to drive up to see him when the weather’s nice enough to let me. It’s like a mini vacation whenever I go up to Massachusetts. I try not to take any work with me, because I never get it done there anyway. And it’s just a break from everything school related. It’s hard that we only get to see each other maybe twice a month though.

The challenge is trying to make all these parts of me co-exist. Right now, I feel most grounded when I’m at school going about my normal routine. It’s when I step out of this that things get a little hard to manage. I’ll be home and want nothing more than to have things to do and be busy like I am at school. Or I’ll be at Jeff’s and wish that he could live a little closer to make it easier to have a relationship. It’s a weird time in my life, nothing can really prepare you for college until you’re actually there living it.

No comments:

Post a Comment