Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day Weekend

It’s great to be back at school and be busy again. During the summer I feel so unproductive that it’s nice to actually do some work and cross something off your to-do list. But, at the same time, it’s great to take a break. Whenever I see Jeff is my break time. This weekend, he came and stayed with me and we had a blast. More importantly, I put all my work away and just focus on having fun. I know I’m not going to get any of it done anyway, so what’s the point of even thinking about it?

We had only two things we wanted to do: enjoy an awesome storm and hike the mountain that’s across the street. The first item on our list failed miserably. Like I said before, Hurricane Earl totally missed us, and we got small excuse for rain. So that left us with only one thing planned. But, not to worry, whenever we’re together, we always find something fun to keep us busy.

On Saturday we did a little bit of shopping, and I picked up some things that I have needed. We knew we wanted to do something outside because while the hurricane didn’t bother us, it did bring some amazing refreshing weather. On our beautiful day, we finally decided to drive 20 minutes south to a small beach that my friend recommended to me.

It was so peaceful to walk along the shell-strewn beach listening to the calming lapping of the waves. I love finding beautiful shells to take home with me. This trip, I found a very unique one that is now sitting on my shelf.



While I was collecting shells, Jeff—my soon-to-be pro photographer—was snapping away beautiful shots totally enjoying the way the afternoon sun was glittering off things. I’ll put a few of my favorites in so you can check them out.









After that, we went to the pizza place where my friend works and had a delicious dinner followed by some ice cream. We then returned to the beach to sit on a blanket and watch the sky change colors for the sunset. But, it’s only so romantic until the sand fleas start attacking.

The next morning we were up a little early so we could climb “The Giant”. The name of the mountain is called Sleeping Giant because it looks just like one. So we were going to go get breakfast (and coffee) at the caf and grab a few sandwiches for lunch on the top, but when we got there, it was barred off and we saw that it doesn’t open until 11 on Sundays! Leave it to college to be open so late. Aren’t people up before then? Apparently not.


Anyway, we then had to hike up to my car (and yes it’s quite a hike, it’s parked in a lot called “Hilltop” and they aren’t kidding) and went to go get some Dunkin. Fueled up with a breakfast sandwich and Jeff with his coffee in hand, we finally were able to start our adventure.

It was a beautiful hike and it’s so nice to go with someone who’s on the same pace as you and is appreciating the same things. The view from the top is absolutely amazing. You can see the entire campus and all the way to the Long Island Sound. We were overlooking a beautiful forest of trees and it sounded like the waves of the ocean. 





Let me add here too, that Jeff had his Dunkin cup in his hand the entire way up—and down.




We found a friend at the top of the mountain climbing on the rock. He was a little caterpillar that we had some fun with taking cool pictures. Jeff got him on a leaf and placed him a tree when we were leaving because he seemed so out of place on the edge of a cliff.


But now that Labor Day Weekend is over, it’s time to start the week. Thankfully,  I had enough time today to finish all of my work and the great part about this is that now I have only 3 more days until the next weekend because I don’t have class on Friday’s!

No comments:

Post a Comment