Saturday, August 14, 2010

Day 7: Aurora, OH to Parsippany, NJ

Today was not very exciting as far as the driving part goes. However, it was great to wake up and come downstairs to a wonderful breakfast prepared by the Browskie’s. We enjoyed this wonderful baked French toast and some fresh fruit. After breakfast, their son Jim and his daughter Allison came over with their dog Bailey. I wish I had taken a picture of Bailey because she was the sweetest, fluffiest dog I’ve ever seen.

After talking for a bit, we decided we should hit the road. We hit the road without knowing where we were going to stay that night. We didn’t want to go all the way to Connecticut, but we weren’t sure how far we wanted to go. In the end, we made it so we would stop in New Jersey so that I could visit my really good friend that lives there.



So with a destination in mind, we kept on driving through Pennsylvania. And drove some more. And some more. Pennsylvania is just so wide and there is so much construction happening on I-80. I tried to take a picture of the welcome sign, but my car got in the way…I also tried to take a picture of the sign when we were leaving PA, but it’s blurry and the back window got in the way. (See below)




It is very pretty and here's a picture as we passed through the Appalachain Mountains.



We had no fun stops in Pennsylvania, so that made it kind of boring. To break through the boringness was the sound of my mom biting her nails. All of her fake nails had broken off and some little OCD part in her was compelling her to bite her real ones. I kept yelling at her, but she just couldn't stop herself. Thankfully, we found a Wal Mart in Du Bois and while we're sitting in the parking lot, she's applying her new nails. This is also after I changed my shirt to long sleeves in the same parking lot. We just felt the need to add to the atmosphere of the store. We are now officially Wal-Martians.

Other than that, the only “big” thing that happened to us was that we hit 3,000 miles on our trip odometer! That was very exciting.




Right as you cross the New Jersey border, you also cross over the Delaware Water Gap. If it sounds familiar...that's because that's where George Washington crossed in that very famous panting. See the resemblance?




So once we crossed into New Jersey, we were ready for some food and a little bit of rest. We stopped at a Chili’s that was right down the street from our hotel. We had one of the weirdest waiters. He tried to be charismatic, but it just turned out to be creepy. He realized our table wasn’t wiped off, so he comes over and with the spray bottle, writes his name on the table, spelling it out for us. If that wasn’t bad enough, when I told my friend Alyssa about him, she totally knew who we were talking about!



Anyway, after relaxing in our hotel room for a couple hours, Alyssa was finally off work and she came to meet us at our hotel. She picked me up and gave me the grand tour of Parsippany as well as the grand tour of her house. It was fun to see where she lived, and see the room I’ve seen on Skype before! It’s so cool to be in her hometown after hearing so much about it. I then got to meet her group of high school friends. It was cool to meet these people I’ve heard so much about.



But it was late so she took me back so we both could get some sleep. Hopefully I’ll see here before we leave Jersey. But next stop is my school!

1 comment: