Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Hard Good Byes

With leaving always come good byes. I know it’s cliché, but it’s true. I’m going to warn you—whoever reads this—that this is going to be a sad post, but that’s just how life goes.

On winter break, I was home for about a month. My cat Ginger, who I’ve had for as long as I can remember, had a tumor on the back of her leg. She’d had it for over a year, but when I was finally reunited with her after being away for 4 months, I instantly noticed it had gotten bigger and she had gotten skinnier. Reluctantly, we took her to the vet. We didn’t want to hear what he had to say. But ultimately it was either amputate the 13-year-old cat’s leg, or put her down.

After making the very difficult choice of saying good-bye to our kitty, my mom, dad, and I brought her back to the vet. As horrible as that day was, I was glad that I was able to be home and say bye to her properly. You really never realize how much pets mean to you until they’re gone. It’s really weird to be home and not have a cat basking in the sun on the floor or laying on top of the couch.

So now comes the hard part. For a while now, my mom and I have been noticing that my dog, Heidi, seems so much older. It’s like it happened over night or something. One day she was my “pup pup” and now she’ll barely get up to greet you when you walk through the door. Once again, here I am, scared to bring her to the vet in fear for what he’ll say.

But what scares me the most is that I’m leaving in just a few days. And I’ll be gone until Christmas. I don’t know what I’d do if something happens to Heidi in the next five months. I know its bad to think that way, but anyone who’s ever had a pet feels my pain. I can’t think that when I leave on Saturday, that I’ll be saying by to her for good. Hopefully things will happen differently, but eventually, I will have to say bye.

Again…sorry for the sadness.

1 comment:

  1. sorry to hear :-(. I know how you feel my dog is 13 we are dealing with similar issues

    ReplyDelete